Rodents in commercial settings can cause devastating effects to your business’s safety and reputation. Here are five things that you should know about rodents in commercial settings.
How to Get Rid of Rodents in the Kitchen
- Proper building maintenance can help keep rodents out — Properly maintaining your building can help keep rodents from infiltrating your space via cracks and openings. Be sure to put tight weather seals around windows and doors, caulk openings around doors and windows (or any other cracks), and never leave doors or unscreened windows open.
- Rodents can often go unnoticed — Sometimes mice and rats in commercial settings, such as hospitals, restaurants, and hotels, are difficult to notice at first. They often nest in spots that aren’t immediately visible, such as storage areas, between walls, and in attics or crawlspaces. In an effort to control pests within a commercial setting, the best course of action is taking a proactive approach. This includes partnering with a professional pest control company who routinely monitors your business and stops pest issues before they start or worsen in order to minimize damages.
- Rodents can damage your establishment’s infrastructure — Aside from posing a threat to your business’s reputation, rodents can also do serious physical damage to the infrastructure of your business. Rodents gnaw on electrical wires, damage a building’s structural support, and destroy furniture.
- Rodents are a health risk — Worldwide, rodents spread over 35 diseases, including salmonella, rickettsial pox, hantavirus, and rat bite fever, among many more. Rats don’t actually have to bite a human in order for these diseases to be spread. They can be transmitted through their saliva, feces, and urine. These diseases can also be spread indirectly via ticks, mites, or fleas that have fed on an infected rodent or its waste.
- If you notice signs of any infestation, the best course of action is to seek professional help — If you notice signs of a rat infestation in any kind of commercial setting, the best course of action is to seek professional help from a reputable pest control service. Dealing with rodents in commercial settings is much different than dealing with rodents in residential settings and presents a number of unique challenges. It is difficult to battle a commercial rodent problem on your own without the skills, expertise, and experience of a professional.
JP Pest Services is dedicated to solving your commercial pest problems. Our pest control professionals understand the regulations and requirements of many different industries. Request your free consultation today for a thorough examination of your business location and a pest control program tailored to your specific needs.